I love baking, so I thought that with Valentines Day coming up, I’d make some Valentine’s inspired shortbread. These ‘raspberry shortbread bars’ are essentially two shortbreads sandwiched between rasberry jam and covered with pink icing and sprinkles. They taste AMAZING and they look so pretty. I’m definitely going to be making another batch for Valentines Day. Me and my sister always have a movie night together on Valentines Day and stuff our faces with loadsss of heart-shaped chocolate and sweets. How are you spending Valentine’s Day this year?
Shortbread Dough Ingredients:
- 500g white bread flour
- 350g salted butter
- 150g icing sugar
- 1 egg
Fillings and Icing Ingredients:
- Around 1/4 of a jar of raspberry jam
- 200g icing sugar
- 2 crushed raspberries(or you could use a few drops of pink food colouring)
- Heart shaped marshmallows(optional)
- White chocolate chips(optional)
- Freeze-dried raspberries(optional)
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees celsius and line 3 baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Mix the flour and icing sugar together in a bowl. If you’re using a KitchenAid I’d recommend putting a tea towel over it because it has a tendency to create a big icing sugar puff!!
- Chop the butter into small pieces and gradually add it into the flour and icing sugar mix. Whisk the egg in a separate bowl before pouring into the mixture and stir well until it starts to turn into a dough. Wrap with clingfilm and pop in the fridge for around 2 hours to chill.
- Take some greaseproof paper and cut out a rectangle measuring around 9cm by 6cm. Roll out the dough to about 1cm thick and trace around the greaseproof paper rectangle with a knife to cut out the shortbread. Repeat this until you have cut out rectangles from all the dough.
- Put the shortbread in the oven for 12 – 15 minutes until they turn golden brown. Put the shortbread on a cooling rack until they are completely cool.
- To make the icing, mix the icing sugar with around 15ml of warm water and stir until the icing is smooth. Add in the 2 crushed raspberries and stir to make the icing pink. Alternatively, you could use a few drops of pink food colouring to dye the icing.
- Spread some raspberry jam on 1 shortbread rectangle and then place another shortbread on top so the jam is sandwiching the two together. Add the pink icing on top of the shortbread bar and smooth over with the back of a spoon. You can decorate it however you like. I decided to add a heart-shaped marshmallow to my shortbread bar and then add white chocolate drops, freeze-dried raspberries and sprinkles.